Photo by ArtsySF and used with her permission.

Google Search

Google
 

Saturday, April 19, 2008

Cumin Sorbet

Before the Ice Cream Fellow was the Ice Cream Fellow, he was the Sorbet Fellow. Ten years ago, I began my love affair with making frozen desserts. It all started with sorbets. Well actually they were granitas. I did not have an ice cream maker so I froze blocks of ice and scraped them into small cordial glasses.

Cumin was my first flavor. Bobby Flay on the Food Network originally inspired me. His flavors are Southwestern, big and bold loaded with chilies and spices. Great stuff, but the meal can leave ones palate overwhelmed before dessert. So I thought it would be great to have a palate cleanser that mimicked the flavors of the meal. This palate cleanser would also be just a little sweet to help transition you from that boldness of the spices to a sweet dessert.

This sorbet is adapted from that granita. It is a great palate cleanser, but it can work as an element of a dessert. For me a little of this goes a long way so I wouldn’t recommend eating a lot of it by its lonesome. Partner cumin sorbet with Latin or Asian flavors such as coconut, pineapple, limes, and mangos.

For this recipe I made 2:1 simple syrup – 2 cups water to 1 cup sugar. The recipe only calls for 1-½ cups of syrup.

Cumin Sorbet:

Juice of 2 oranges
Juice of 3 limes
Juice of 1 lemon
1-½ cups of 2:1 simple syrup
¾ tsp cumin

1. Strain the fruit juices to remove the pulp
2. Mix with the warm simple syrup.
3. Add the cumin and stir thoroughly to incorporate all the flavors.
4. Chill overnight, and then freeze.

No comments: